St. Andrew’s was organized as a mission November 20, 1891, as a result from transplanted Englishman C. J. E. Lowndes’ petition to the Bishop of the Missionary District of Northern Texas. Thirty-seven communicants built our first building by 1903. It was a simple frame structure on the corner of Ninth and Fillmore. When parish status was attained in 1910, the church had grown to 150 members. The original structure was replaced in 1917 by a red brick building and served 212 members.
During the depression St. Andrew’s struggled with debt and came close to reverting to missionary status. The debt was repaid in 1942, and St. Andrew’s was once again growing and building. In 1946 the Reverend George Quarterman served as rector for 6 months before he was consecrated as the 3rd Bishop of the Missionary District of North Texas.
In 1950, St. Andrew’s moved to its third building at the existing site on land donated by Mr. and Mrs. Miles Childers. The building was dedicated on Christmas Eve and 64 new members were confirmed.
Blessed with ample facilities, St. Andrew’s has a history of using its buildings in outreach and sharing them with other organizations. In 1951, a kindergarten class was begun – the genesis of St. Andrew’s Episcopal School. In 1953 Betty Bivins Childers gave her ranch headquarters to the Parish, and it was named St. Andrew’s Ranch. By 1955, the ranch was being used as a summer conference for the Diocese. The ranch became home to the Bishop Quarterman Conference Center, used by generations of diocesan Episcopalians for summer camps and retreats since that time.
The Parish continued its sharing ministry by helping launch a second Episcopal church in Amarillo and raising funds to build St. Peter’s Church. Thirty St. Andrew’s families joined St. Peter’s, and their building was dedicated in 1959.
In the 1960’s, the Parish continued its building tradition with the addition of the Education Building (now Lowndes Hall) which housed the growing day school, Sunday school classes and other church activities.
In the 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s, St. Andrew’s continued to grow and meet the challenges and changes facing most Episcopal churches. Trial liturgies were studied and used – the ‘new’ prayer book was adopted – women became part of the clergy.
On February 11, 1996, fire destroyed our sanctuary, offices and parish hall. The fire burned these buildings but did not diminish our faith. It launched us on a journey of examination and renewal. It was both joyful and painful.
We have worshiped in a gymnasium and built up our community. We have reached out to the homeless when we were homeless and have come to know humility. We have struggled within our own community and built up our ministries.
St. Andrew’s new Parish Hall and Nave, constructed to glorify God and dedicated to spreading His word and love was completed and dedicated in 2002.
In 2013 we built our Columbarium Chapel and enclosed the courtyard area around it. The Columbarium Chapel altar was consecrated in the spring of that year. Having the “faithful departed” of our congregation so intricately a part of our worship space is now an additional valuable part of our parish life.
St. Andrew’s is a vibrant and thriving community of faith because of the path that it has traveled, and it is poised to continue going forward for the Glory of God.